I was reminded about how delicious scones are when I realized I have baking powder at home. I had a half hour to kill, and a memory of my childhood. So, let’s get to the important things.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk (I used a vanilla almond milk)
- berries of your choosing
- grated parmigiano-reggiano
- get creative and add your own twist
this is the difficult part…
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Mix in melted butter
- In another smaller bowl, mix milk and egg.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. If you’re concerned about making a mess, consider a large baking sheet on a towel. Knead dough briefly and cut into 1/2 inch thick round..
- This is where the fun happens – cut up anything you want in your scone and fold it in. You may need to reflour the scones if they are too wet.
- bake for 15 minutes in the preheated over or until golden brown. Consider taking another egg, beaten, and lightly coating (brush with pastry brush) the tops of the scones to get a beautiful golden brown color.