The trick here is that instead of beating egg whites into peaks, you whip the chocolate and egg together in a blender. Salmonella from underdone eggs is rare, but if you’re concerned about partly uncooked yolks, skip this for the kids and save it for the adults.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes Total time
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (includes chilling)
- 6 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate (such as Valrhona), chopped, plus extra for shavings (optional)
- 1 cup milk (any fat content)
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 eggs (the freshest possible)
- Place the chocolate in a blender.
- Heat the milk, espresso, and butter in a small pot until the milk is scalded, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the milk mixture into the blender and blend until the chocolate is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the eggs and blend until no lumps remain.
- Pour into cups and chill until set, about 1 1/2 hours. Garnish with the chocolate shavings, if desired, and serve.